AC Cabinets – Part 7

In case you missed it, here are the previous links for this now-completed project:

PART 1 – A ROOKIE CONSTRUCTION MISTAKE!
PART 2 – 3 FRAMES COMPLETED!
PART 3 – BUILDING THE DOORS
BONUS – SPRAY PAINTING IN THE SNOW
PART 4 – LIVING ROOM CABINET DONE & HUNG!
PART 5 – GIRL CAVE CABINET DONE & HUNG!
PART 6 – BEDROOM CABINET DONE & HUNG!
PART 7 – A SLIGHT TWEAK TO THE GIRL CAVE CABINET

I thought I was done with this project, but after living with the girl cave AC cabinet for the past few months I decided I didn’t like the blue I’d used to spray paint the laser-cut wooden door panels with:

building the girl cave ac box cover        the completed ac box cover in the girl cave

The blue was just a random color I’d had in a can of spray paint.  But to me it clashed with the violet of the walls and the deep purple of the ceiling.  So last weekend I climbed up, planning to remove the cabinet from the walls.  But that didn’t work out.  When I caulked it to the wall I did a REALLY good job apparently!  So I had to settle with taking just the doors off.

After taking the doors apart [frame/laser-cut panels/rigid insulation] I sprayed the panels off-white:

        

Then painted the rigid insulation the same color as the walls and let everything dry for a week:

        

Today I put the doors back together.  But before putting them on the cabinet I used the same trick as I did with the bedroom AC cabinet and added thin pieces of cardboard behind each hinge to bring the doors out a few millimeters.  Originally they closed too tightly and I wanted to fix that.  I grabbed an old Ziploc box from the basement:

And cut little hinge-sized pieces from it:

        

Then hung the doors up, inserting the cardboard under each hinge:

        

Closeup of the cardboard behind the hinge:

Look how perfectly the doors close now – just a few millimeters of space which is what I wanted:

        

I love how it looks now!:

BEFORE & AFTER:

the completed ac box cover in the girl cave        

As you may note in the above pic, I’ve removed the weird alien-looking IKEA light I’d hung up there in 2016.  I’m going to replace it with a spotlight shining down on my work bench.

(Visited 58 times, 1 visits today)

5 Comments

  1. … but I liked the IKEA light! 🙂

  2. So subtle, but such an improvement – great job, Alison!

    • Nine Dark Moons

      Thanks! I probably should have painted the laser cut panels the same color as the wall and kept the insulation panels white… but whatever. it’s an improvement!

Leave a Reply