Chameleon Mural – Part 2

Today I worked more on the chameleon mural.  I started by taking the brown from yesterday and dividing it into 3 parts.  I added white to part, black to another part, and left the remaining original sealed in the Tupperware.  Then I added highlights & shadowing to the branch:

      

I started with the shadows:

      

Here’s a closeup of the shadows and also a closeup of the eye which I outlined in Sharpie using one of my circle stencils [you can see the original eye location below it]:

      

I flipped the canvas’ upside down to add the highlights to the underside of the branch:

I usually paint on the floor. This is the first time I’ve painted standing up and it’s actually pretty nice.  I’m using the left end of my workbench as an easel:

The main color of the head, legs, & end of the tail in the picture is bright orange, but I’m using red instead.  When outlining the head & body I also enlarged both a bit so the chameleon doesn’t look so scrawny.  Here’s what I’ve done so far.  The red is a first coat – it will have highlights, shading, etc. before I’m done.  Once I start painting the body [in blues, pinks, & yellows] things will really speed up:

       

Here’s an example of why it’s a good idea to save your major colors in Tupperware until the painting/mural is done.  As I was painting one of the feet I realized I need to fill in the background a little more around it, which I’ll do tomorrow:

The darker part of the foot was originally green background.  For the really detailed parts, I just painted background & tree branch over the whole area and will do detail work on top of it with the appropriate color[s].

(Visited 102 times, 1 visits today)

Leave a Reply