Abbie warned me a couple times that the stained glass spider web I made in October was probably too heavy for the hooks I added in November, since they were soldered directly to the copper foil border. She wasn’t kidding! Today I took the web down to my workshop and barely applied any pressure before the hooks peeled off, taking the copper foil with them.
I’m on a roll! Holy cow. I made a raspberry one last night before bed, a garnet/blood red one this morning, and a smaller, clear glass polka-dot/bubble wrap looking one this afternoon. The clear one was for hubby’s boss’s wife. We went to a surprise party for him at his house and I decided to make a star for his wife [who I’d never met] as a hostess gift. She loved it 🙂
Today I made another stained glass star! I went into work this morning but got home at 1:30 and immediately headed down to my workshop and started another star. The glass I used today is a dark teal color, and has a wavy pattern to it. If you hold it on it’s side it looks like the surface of a lake. So pretty! it only took me an hour and 15 minutes to make the 2nd star, versus 2½ hours for the first one 🙂
And it only took 2½ hours!!! So I’ve been thinking about my next stained glass project ever since finishing my spider web last month. However, I haven’t had any time for stained glassing. Until today! They let us out of work 3 hours early [woohoo!], and since I’m not traveling for Thanksgiving [thank god] I headed down to my basement workshop the minute I got home.
I finished my stained glass spider web today. Abbie gave me an awesome lesson in soldering. And when I got home I painted on the magical liquid that turns the solder from silver to black. Woohoo! Now I can cross that off my list of 2015 projects. 9 done, 3 to go 🙂
I woke up this morning at 7:00 with a pounding headache [could have been from the 3 Mike’s Hard Lemonade’s I had last night, but I’m thinking it was more the changing weather]. Hubby brought me some aspirin and about an hour later I leaped out of bed and announced “I’m creating art today!” and hubby was like “um… OK?”
After work today I added some Emerald green, and by doing so, 2 of the 4 paintings are done! At least with Phase 1. To clarify, Phase 1 = getting each shape filled in with paint. Phase 2 = outlining some of the shapes. After adding the Emerald green, I moved on to Phase 2. First I lay my plastic circle template [the same one I used to draw the circles on my blank canvases] over the circles I wanted to outline.
HOLY CRAP! The last time I worked on my circle mosaic paintings was back on January 14! I didn’t know it had been that long… I’ve been meaning to work on them almost daily, but never set aside enough time. Today I added some primary red and canary yellow highlights. I’m getting there. A few more colors and I’ll be done with phase 1.
I originally posted these shots at the end of my Driveway from Helleth post, but I decided they deserved their own post. Last week my friend Law challenged me on Facebook to a 5 day Art Challenge: post 3 works a day for 5 days. Here are 6 original photos I shot this week with my Nikon DSLR camera.
Tonight I finally had time to work on my paintings again. It took 2½ hours just to add raspberry! Part of the problem was the color wasn’t opaque enough, so I had to apply 3 coats. Another problem was I ran out of my custom mixed color halfway through and had to mix another batch, color-matched to the first batch. Never the easiest thing! The raspberry I created was a mix of “Primary Red”, “Primary Blue”, & “Titanium White”.