For a few months now, half the basement has been dark. There are 4 sets of fluorescent ceiling lights down there, but 2 had burnt out. Unfortunately the half that’s been dark is my neighbor Kathy’s – her cage is in a separate room of the basement and been basically pitch black. I knew I needed to get replacement bulbs, but I’ve been sick for so long and so exhausted that I kept forgetting.
About 6 weeks ago, after being sick for 6 weeks [I’m finally starting to feel better, although I’m still way too tired] I decided I needed to do something DIY-ish. Birdie was having a love-hate relationship with her litter boxes and usually left me daily “presents” on the girl cave floor. Turns out it was the litter not the box, but I didn’t know that then.
To be fair, this was my first attempt using caulk where the results have to look “nice”. I caulked the storm windows a few years ago [and made a mess], and caulked a few seams in the basement cage last month [and made a mess]. But last weekend I tried to caulk the kitchen counters and… made a mess.
Today is my 4th Blogiversary! On August 26, 2013, I published my first post on ninedarkmoons.com and started a 4 year odyssey of DIY, creativity, photography, and self expression. I’ve had so much fun, met so many awesome people, & accomplished more than I ever thought possible.
We have 3 cats. And 6 litter boxes, which we empty and scrub each week. 2 litter boxes are elevated for Birdie, the rest are on ground level for Darwin & Bonkers. You would think 6 would be enough. But no.
At the end of June I’d finally had it with our basement cage [aka my workshop] flooding every time it rained. I discovered that the gutter on the corner of the house above the leak was pointing straight down at the foundation so I crafted a gutter extender, then sealed the basement wall with hydraulic cement, silicon masonry sealant, and 2 coats of Drylok masonry waterproofer.
Now that the basement wall has had some time to dry out, I decided it was time to start the patching process. I vacuumed and scrubbed the wall to prepare it for the hydraulic cement. Then glopped it into all the holes that were leaking. It dries almost immediately making it rather tricky to work with!
As I was researching basement flooding, one article said “make sure your gutters are all aimed away from your foundation – often this can be the cause of your basement flooding”. Lo and behold, when I got home from work today, I realized that the gutter directly over the leak was pointed straight at the foundation – d’oh!
When I first moved into the condo in 2012, the basement barely got wet during huge, multi-day rain storms. Now our cage starts flooding within 20 minutes of heavy rain fall. I knew the water was coming in somewhere along the wall in the far, right corner of our cage, behind all the shelving.
I am ALISON, aka Nine Dark Moons. Welcome to my little corner of the world! I hope you will stay a while & read some stories about my DIY projects, my creative exploits, and the adorable animals that cross my path.