Tall Bookcase – Part 2: Starting to Paint

Last Tuesday I posted my first progress report on the tall bookcase in the girl cave.  I had gotten the bookcase body primed, and had put 1 coat of primer on the 5 shelves.  I also started patching the bottom edge of each side of the body where pieces of wood had flaked off.  After posting, I was able to finish patching one side:

The following day I flipped the bookcase over and assessed the damage:

Here are closeups – this side is way worse than the other was:

        

I filled the divots with wood filler, waited for it to dry, sanded it flat, then repeated until it looked good enough to prime:

        

Up close they look a tad bumpy, but from a standing position you can’t tell there’s any defect:

        

After putting a 2nd coat of primer on each side of the shelves I started painting them red.  It took 6 coats [!!!] but one side is done:

        

       

        

I have also gotten 3 coats on one side of the bookcase body:

        

I’m loving how it’s looking so far.  So shiny!

(Visited 39 times, 1 visits today)

8 Comments

  1. That is an impressive fix and a lot of painting. Good job.

  2. Deine Schwester

    You are so patiently , your work must be successful.
    Liebe Grüsse

  3. Six coats–holy cow! But it’s a beautiful color and it’ll look awesome!! Like Chinese lacquer.

  4. When you’re through painting, that bookcase is going to be a WOW!

    • Nine Dark Moons

      I know it! I can’t wait! I’m working on it a little bit each day, after work. It’s going to take probably 2 more weeks to finish.

Leave a Reply