It became necessary this past Spring to build a large enough bin cage to house a mouse family so the babies could not escape. More on that in my next post…
I decided on a 90 quart bin which I bought at Target for $11. This bin cage is a larger version of the 30-quart bin cages I made last December. I took the bin down cellar and laid it on my workbench:
I marked both sides with a grease pencil so I’d know where to cut the side panels:
My dremel tool makes quick work of plastic:
My utility knife helped separate the cuts so I could pop the side panels out:
For this bin cage I opted for ¼” hardware cloth. For the smaller bins I’d used ½”, which is probably fine, but DAMN!!! MICE CAN FIT THROUGH SMALL HOLES!!!
I started cutting the hardware cloth with my wire cutters:
But realized my kitchen scissors did a faster job:
¼” hardware cloth is very lightweight. I drilled holes for zip ties to attach the wire mesh to each side of the bin cage. After snipping the long tails of the ties I used colorful duct tape to cover the sharp edges:
Zebra print on one side, psychedelic tie-die on the other:
I got it set up with rodent wheels, hamster tubes, & toys:
Then drilled a few more holes to attach a water bottle:
The new inhabitants [more on that in my next post] enjoyed it very much:
They have since been released back into the wild.