This weekend I actually did something right on the first try! I’m obviously not talking about the front hall wall color, which took 3 tries. I’m talking about mixing my own hue of paint! I mean, I’ve been doing that forever when I create art. But I’ve never done it with wall paint before. I was inspired by Jo at Let’s Face the Music who gave me the courage to believe I could do it – thanks, Jo!
The first color I painted the front hall was Benjamin Moore Kendall Charcoal:
The second color I painted the front hall was Benjamin Moore Marina Gray:
I had considered other colors, like Benjamin Moore Portland Gray or Pashmina:
But ultimately decided to try lightening up my leftover Kendall Charcoal. I went to the Benjamin Moore store and bought a gallon of white base paint and a 3 gallon plastic bucket. I had about ¾ quart of Kendall Charcoal leftover from painting the hall back in March. I poured about half of it into the 3 gallon bucket. Then I poured what I thought would be a good amount of the white base paint into the bucket [probably a quart, to a quart and a half] and mixed it up. I compared the color of the original Kendall Charcoal with the new hybrid mix on a paint stick:
It looked perfect, so I tested it on the wall:
It looked really good with the slate! Hubby and I decided to go for it, so I covered my precious slate floor with contractor’s paper:
And put on 2 coats. It looks really good!
The interior of the closet is still Kendall Charcoal – I like the contrast.
I also finished the closet shelf! I primed it a few weeks ago, and this weekend I painted it. I also used the iron-on wood veneer on the front edge. Here’s the before, and halfway through ironing on the veneer:
And here’s the finished edge [which I painted white], and the shelf back in the closet [thanks to hubby!]:
I also did some work on the new living room cat platforms this weekend. I shored up the newest 2 with stronger brackets, and painted the brackets to match the wall:
I also took down the one over the window and painted it white:
I cut some little blocks to attach to the window frame so the platform would hang further from the wall to allow more room for the curtains and shade to fall behind it:
The newly-painted-white platform looks so good! Now we have a full chain of steps leading from the alcove down to the couch:
Birdie likes it, too!
It looks better than it did when I first hung it, when it was a scrap piece of stained wood:
Here’s a pic I took in our yard before work last week:
Happy November, everyone! Meh.