I have just been able to add “JetPack” to my blog, which is a bundle of features offered by WordPress. It will streamline my blog and make things MUCH tidier behind the scenes. When I first started my blog last August, WordPress kept prompting me to connect to JetPack, but I couldn’t. There was a glitch affecting random blogs. Long story short, if you subscribed to my blog using FeedBurner, please re-subscribe using JetPack.
At the end of October I started painting the girl cave ceiling, but didn’t get very far due to vertigo issues I’ve suffered from since May. I’m painting it Benjamin Moore Galaxy – a beautiful, rich, dark purple. I think it will look so cool once it’s painted and covered with tiny LED lights. I know it’s not typical to paint a ceiling, let alone paint it dark, but my girl cave is, well, my GIRL CAVE. And my art studio. And I can decorate it however I please 🙂
After painting the Girl Cave walls Violet Mist, I decided to paint the built-in cupboard Amethyst Shadow, which is from the same color family. I decided on high-gloss paint because I love the look of shiny furniture! After 2 coats of BIN primer and 3 coats of Amethyst Shadow, it was done and looking fantastic! It took 2 weeks to fully cure before I could put anything on it. For the hinges & hardware I used Krylon Fusion Mystic Prism Effect spray paint.
This post exists simply because on a weekly basis I am blown away by the Amazon Kindle app for my Windows phone. And I was blown away by it again yesterday, so I felt compelled to write about it. Most of you probably already use the Kindle app, but bear with me. Last year my husband downloaded it to my phone, but I didn’t pay any attention to it. Until yesterday. When I sitting, board half to death, in my doctor’s waiting room.
The fire alarms in our condo are hard-wired to the walls. Over the years they’ve become very ugly and yellowed. Particularly the 3 upstairs alarms – one in each bedroom, and one in the hallway about 15 feet up. They all say “Do Not Paint” on them. So last weekend I finally got the last of them painted. You saw that coming, right? I made sure not to paint over the green light. Or the red light. Or the slots where the smoke and fire get in.
When I first considered moving into the condo, back in January 2012, I convinced my husband to let me turn the 2nd bedroom into a GIRL CAVE. Thankfully, he agreed 🙂 I mean, a girl has to have somewhere to hang her dragon stuff, her knife collection, her disco balls, and set up her art studio, right? After spending many hours in the cave over the following 18 months, I finally decided on a color scheme for the walls!
Just after Christmas 2011, a few months after meeting my husband, he surprised me by buying and registering the domain name NineDarkMoons.com – something I’d always wanted but had never actually pursued. I had NO idea where to start. Which is why, 18 months later, the site was still unpublished & collecting dust. Then I stumbled upon some kick-ass women DIY’ers with their own websites and my life changed forever!
This is not a DIY project, but it IS a Home Improvement project.
Happy Halloween!!! This is my 1st installment of #TBT [Throw Back Thursday]. Long before I knew my DIY capabilities, my husband and I paid a contractor to install hardwood floors in our upstairs hall and bedrooms, as well as the staircase. Everything had been buried under ugly wall-to-wall beige carpeting.
Last year, before I knew much about DIY stuff, I decided to regrout a small portion of the master bathroom tile with… *gasp*… Spackle. I realized my mistake right after doing it… it looked horrible and I could tell it wasn’t going to last. Last week I went to Home Depot and bought some sanded grout in “Natural Grey”. I was hoping it would be a close match to the current grout, but it’s a lot darker. It still looks better than Spackle!
After 2 applications of joint tape, 3 coats of joint compound, and a whole lot of sanding, the repair to the drywall tape crack is finally done! I touched up the wall paint around the repair site and it’s looking amazing! Next up will be painting the ceiling and hanging tiny LED star lights to look like the night sky. The project cost about $20 and took about 3 weeks to complete.