To be fair, this was my first attempt using caulk where the results have to look “nice”. I caulked the storm windows a few years ago [and made a mess], and caulked a few seams in the basement cage last month [and made a mess]. But last weekend I tried to caulk the kitchen counters and… made a mess.
Today is my 4th Blogiversary! On August 26, 2013, I published my first post on ninedarkmoons.com and started a 4 year odyssey of DIY, creativity, photography, and self expression. I’ve had so much fun, met so many awesome people, & accomplished more than I ever thought possible.
We have 3 cats. And 6 litter boxes, which we empty and scrub each week. 2 litter boxes are elevated for Birdie, the rest are on ground level for Darwin & Bonkers. You would think 6 would be enough. But no.
At the end of June I’d finally had it with our basement cage [aka my workshop] flooding every time it rained. I discovered that the gutter on the corner of the house above the leak was pointing straight down at the foundation so I crafted a gutter extender, then sealed the basement wall with hydraulic cement, silicon masonry sealant, and 2 coats of Drylok masonry waterproofer.
Now that the basement wall has had some time to dry out, I decided it was time to start the patching process. I vacuumed and scrubbed the wall to prepare it for the hydraulic cement. Then glopped it into all the holes that were leaking. It dries almost immediately making it rather tricky to work with!
As I was researching basement flooding, one article said “make sure your gutters are all aimed away from your foundation – often this can be the cause of your basement flooding”. Lo and behold, when I got home from work today, I realized that the gutter directly over the leak was pointed straight at the foundation – d’oh!
When I first moved into the condo in 2012, the basement barely got wet during huge, multi-day rain storms. Now our cage starts flooding within 20 minutes of heavy rain fall. I knew the water was coming in somewhere along the wall in the far, right corner of our cage, behind all the shelving.
In my last post I mentioned that Birdie has adopted my girl cave workbench as her new spot. The other night I witnessed her attempting to jump up onto it herself and realized a cat platform would come in very handy. I ended up re purposing one of the upstairs hall cat platforms.
Earlier this month I ripped the chicken wire off the catio and re-stained it. I also built a sleeping box for the bottom level. Next up was attaching the welded wire I bought from Amazon. The welded wire was so much easier to use than the chicken wire! It lay flat when I rolled it out, it didn’t have stabby edges that cut me or got snagged on my clothes, and it’s welded in 1″ sections which made measuring a breeze.
Last February I stained & waterproofed the top of my girl cave workbench. I only did the top because I didn’t think it would matter if I left the rest natural wood, and I needed the top waterproofed stat, since my stained glassing was leaving ugly waters spots on the MDF. But after living with it for a few months I decided the rest really needed to be stained.