I haven’t had much time to work on the chameleon mural since last posting. However, I’ve found a few hours here and there. I’ve added some yellow highlights to the face & tail, and started work on the eye.
Last August I shared my mission to virtually bicycle across the US from Ipswich, MA, to the Seattle Aquarium. I am logging all the miles I ride on the recumbent bike at the YMCA & the miles I walk into myvirtualmission.com. Each time I log new miles my virtual icon moves across the map. I am currently on a ferry in the middle of Lake Michigan.
We have 3 cats. And 6 litter boxes, which we empty and scrub each week. 2 litter boxes are elevated for Birdie, the rest are on ground level for Darwin & Bonkers. You would think 6 would be enough. But no.
I began painting the chameleon mural on July 4th. I’ve been slowly working on adding colors to the body, and this weekend I finished that part. Next up will be adding detail and highlights to the head, legs, & tail.
At the end of June I’d finally had it with our basement cage [aka my workshop] flooding every time it rained. I discovered that the gutter on the corner of the house above the leak was pointing straight down at the foundation so I crafted a gutter extender, then sealed the basement wall with hydraulic cement, silicon masonry sealant, and 2 coats of Drylok masonry waterproofer.
Now that the basement wall has had some time to dry out, I decided it was time to start the patching process. I vacuumed and scrubbed the wall to prepare it for the hydraulic cement. Then glopped it into all the holes that were leaking. It dries almost immediately making it rather tricky to work with!
I am making steady progress on the chameleon mural for our bedroom wall. I have added 2 colors to the body this week and done a rough draft of the eye and mouth.
Hubby’s birthday was yesterday. For his present I’ve been planning to paint something for above the bed, to replace the faded picture that’s been up there since I moved in. It was supposed to be a surprise but I ended up telling him since there’s no way I was going to finish it by yesterday.
As I was researching basement flooding, one article said “make sure your gutters are all aimed away from your foundation – often this can be the cause of your basement flooding”. Lo and behold, when I got home from work today, I realized that the gutter directly over the leak was pointed straight at the foundation – d’oh!
When I first moved into the condo in 2012, the basement barely got wet during huge, multi-day rain storms. Now our cage starts flooding within 20 minutes of heavy rain fall. I knew the water was coming in somewhere along the wall in the far, right corner of our cage, behind all the shelving.