Ceiling Fans – Part 1: Stubborn Bolt Fiasco

using a dremmel tool to cut a notch into a stripped screw as sparks fly

Why is EVERY DIY project a fiasco? At least that’s how it seems. Nothing is ever as easy as it looks, nothing ever goes the way you think it will in your head, and there’s always unforeseen problems that take up way more time than they should! We have 3 ceiling fans. One in the living room and one in each bedroom. They are white, boring, borderline ugly, but do a great job so we haven’t replaced them yet. Until now.

Continue reading

Upstairs Hall Cat Platforms – Part 4: Moved

upstairs hall cat platform and bookcase

When I installed the large cat platform in the upstairs hallway earlier this year, I also installed 2 smaller access steps, figuring Bonkers could use them to get himself up onto the main platform. He never even tried. He doesn’t have very good balance and I think the main platform is too high for him to contemplate. So last week I moved the 2 smaller platforms to different locations to make them more usable.

Continue reading

Front Steps – Part 3: Completed!

new wooden front stoop which replaced the crumbling brick one

Disclaimer: this is not a DIY project, but it IS a Home Improvement project.

Last weekend, the contractor came back and finished our front steps. I should say “front step” since it’s only one now. But it came out awesome – we love it. He made it wider than the old steps, which means I can put plants on one side and have room on the other to put down my groceries while I open the door – hooray for small conveniences!

Continue reading

Stairwell Ceiling

painting the stairwell ceiling

This is just a dumb little project I did back in late June. It’s a square of ceiling in the stairwell, near the bottom of the stairs. It looked like it had been primed white, but never painted, so it always had a slightly dingy look to it. It’s been bugging me since I moved in!

Continue reading

Front Steps – Part 1: Demolition

cement cinder block temporary front steps

Disclaimer: this is not a DIY project, but it IS a Home Improvement project.

When Jim first bought the condo [October 2009], the front steps weren’t bad, just your typical set of brick steps. By early July of this year, they were starting to show signs of crumbling. And by early August they were getting downright unsafe! The mortar was acting more like sand and less like mortar – every day another brick slid further out of place.

Continue reading